Well, then... ~ theatre notes

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Well, then...

A few days ago I mentioned that I had to cut back on my workaholic tendencies before I either collapsed or began to write bilge.

A writer would, of course, always prefer to collapse before the bilge, rather than afterwards; so I hope, for the sake of my pride, that it all happened in the correct order. Your indefatigable crrritic proved not so indefatigable after all, and was, to the alarm of herself and of everyone around her, carted off in an ambulance early on Thursday and put very firmly into hospital. And they wouldn't let me out again until today, which was, to say to the least, tedious. Though to be honest for a day or two I was far too sick even to be bored.

I fear that I am in some ways very thick; certainly, it didn't really hit home until Thursday morning that it is possible to die from being unable to breathe. Anyway, I have made my acquaintance with many innovative and cutting-edge drugs, and am now, regretlessly and without any kind of struggle, an ex-smoker. Who needs to be that sick? Not me.

Things here will obviously be a little slower until I get up to speed again. But I feel very committed to this blog (perhaps I ought to be committed) and am not planning to give it up. I just have to organise my priorities - slowly and carefully - so I can survive them all. But I'm back, I'm fine and I'm planning to be finer still. Just not in any manic hurry.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the start of a new theatre blog meme: not smoking. And now you're reminding me of why I need to stop too. Not much luck over the last week, but you've thrown the scare into me, too.

Please take care, Alison. Living theater bloggers -- even if they post less often -- are much more necessary than the other kind. Now get some rest.

MattJ said...

Get well Alison. We're thinking of you on the other side of the ocean.

Chris Boyd said...

Oh, man! Take care. Please! That brain of yours is not much use without oxygenated blood -- red red blood.

Alison Croggon said...

Thanks guys - I promise I'll be both good and well!

Anonymous said...

All the best for a swift recovery Alison. I greatly enjoy your passionate blog.

Ken said...

A damned shame, Alison, you are a good one and deserve robust health, not difficulties with same. As for not smoking, I'm almost 14 months free of it after 45 years of nonstop smoking, and the only thing stupider than starting is trying to stop. It is the most brutal addiction known to humanity, that is documented, etc., and I'd say giving up drinking was a piece of cake compared to setting down the tobacconista garbage.

DL said...

Thinking of you and wishing you a quick recovery !
And healthy healthy lungs !!!

Anonymous said...

Salaam Peace Alison,
Whoah! Slow down girl, what am I meant to do during the day at work if your are not doing your thang? Work or something? How barbaric, please have some consideration for the more sybaritic, actively lazy of us out there!
P.S Get well soon

Anonymous said...

Alison, Trust you to make a 1st person health report so interesting, compelling even! Stay well. Kind regards, Corrie

Art said...

Get Well Quickly.

My best wishes.

Adam Szymkowicz said...

hope you feel better soon.

Alison Croggon said...

Thanks everybody for the kind wishes: it's very much appreciated!